Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Dancing with the Stars - Week 2

Things zipped along on the second week of competition on Dancing with the Stars, and I am already getting a little pissed off at our cranky judges. I can not, for the life of me, understand how Lance Bass & Lacey Schwimmer got a lower score than some of the other dancers with their very hot I kissed a Girl inspired Paso Doble. They had great footwork, a kick ass performance and the 2 of them have some great chemistry. The kiss was a complete surprise and it was cute stuff. Len gets a little too stuck in his groove, but you have to give him the point that they need to be more conventional in the competition or they may be leaving sooner than later. Ya gotta give props to those two though... it was a fantastic number.


I was so relieved when Kim Kardashian & Mark Ballas were given the boot for their sad Rumba instead of Cloris Leachman & Corky Ballas with their pretty good Paso Doble. Cloris and Corky didn't deserve to have the lowest score this week (she did a serious dance and then they chided her for not being funny -- this show is a tad confusing to follow at times) as she out danced both Rocco and Kim by miles. Thank god Kim is gone as the only I can think when she is on stage is that "She can't sing, She can't dance... why's she famous?". Now we know that just because you have a huge ass and rack (not to mention having done a sex tape) do not make you a celebrity or even show any talent that can be displayed in public. Bye bye Kim, don't let the door hit you on the huge ass on your way out. It was so boring and I am so over it.

But overall I am still really impressed with the level of dance with some of the competitors and here is the rundown of how it looked at home.

Toni Braxton & Alec Mazo did the Rumba and did a nice steamy job with it. They have some great chemistry and got a pretty decent score. Alex is looking pretty good this year and it may be time for him to take back the trophy.

Brooke Burke & Derek Hough did the Paso Doble , it was a nice routine but too much cape work for my taste and Derek just looks too young to be her partner. Brooke moves well across the floor but I don`t think she is as much the natural dancer as they would like to say. She needs to bring out her inner cougar to sell it better. Derek needs to watch his mouth though... do not piss of the judges my friend as you may regret it later.

Rocco DiSpirito & Karina Smirnoff attempted to do the Rumba and failed terribly. Len even tried using cooking analogies to make things clear for Rocco but the guy has no rhythm or natural dance movement and I expect him to be gone soon. I can see how he is hot on the Food network but this is way out of his comfort zone.

Misty May-Treanor & Maksim Chmerkovskiy hit it hard with a great Paso Doble. Maks is working Misty hard (not that she seems to mind), and they really did a great number. I was disappointed with their score and thought that they deserved better. Maks is always teamed up with very intense women.

Maurice Green & Cheryl Burke did an okay Rumba, but I just wasn't feeling it last night and in all honesty I am pretty much over Cheryl. She isn't doing it for me anymore.

Susan Lucci & Tony Dovolani did a much better job with their Rumba, and even if Susan seems dangerously skinny at times she moved much better than I expected. She is definitely less stick like as she was the first night and has some potential. She just looks too fragile at times and that may be her biggest weakness.

Warren Sapp & Kym Johnson did the best Paso Doble of the evening that was hot, intense and covered in pleather. Warren is really surprising me (and most of the public) by his great foot work and ease on the dance floor. The big guy is really surprising and Kym is certainly working it for all it's worth to go to the finale this season. She seems a bit top heavy to me but Warren doesn't seem to mind.

Cody Linley & Julianne Hough did their Rumba and people will think I am cruel, but I thought he looked like Ellen Degeneres dancing. It`s probably not a good thing that you look like a lesbian dancing with Julianne (although I am pretty sure that Ellen would enjoy herself, and is it just a coincidence that Julianne is from Australia just like Ellen's partner Portia? hmmmm...) and I didn't think they were that great. Cody is just too green and I don't expect to see him around in a few weeks, unless all those screaming girls know how to vote as well as they scream. The show is still as entrancing as ever and a great way to start off the week.